[Battlemesh] Fwd: [wlan-si dev] Outdoor wifi router comparison matrix

aad leone at inventati.org
Sat Dec 19 17:44:16 CET 2015

On 12/19/2015 12:02 PM, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> Op 18/12/15 om 19:45 schreef aad:
>>> I'm writing comparison matrix between different outdoor wifi routers,
>>> any comments or suggestion are welcome:
>>>
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TAqBaqCuS1vMnrpGoVNim9LVQfVovkr60fgPioZtU6A/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> A cheaper choice could be a indoor device inside a waterproof box (just
>> be sure it's well closed [0]).
>>

>> [0]
>> https://blog.ninux.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-11-25-09.39.29.jpg.jpg
>
> I do not think this is cheaper.
> Costs of linksys plus housing is more than e.g. costs of Ubiquity
> nanostationM2-Loco or Microtik SXT Lite 2 (about Euro 40), not counting
> labor.

Looking at the devices already in the spreadsheet i think they are
looking for short-range omni devices to make an hotspot, so a 15eur
tp-link 841n could be enough, for different needs i agree with you.

> Also consider the powersupply (PoE).

If the device's ethernet is not gigabit you can diy [0].

Obviously all this is if you like some simple hardware hacking :)

[0] http://blog.altermundi.net/article/diy-poe-enabled-100mbit-router/