[Battlemesh] Dynamic TX power

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 18:19:16 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM, fboehm <fboehm at aon.at> wrote:
> Just a short addition to full-power beacons:
>
> Not always the best idea because beacons (with low modulation rate) will be
> heard by distant nodes that might not be able to achieve meaningful
> throughput later on. The result could be waste of valuable airtime because
> of a weak link with low modulated data packets and many retransmissions.

I think you are mixing up layer2 and layer3...

on the layer2 you have no concept if you NEED a link... it might be
the only one to the neighbor... in some cases it might be your only
link to the internet gateway.

Filtering your wifi links by restricting beacons to low-power (or
higher modulation) might just fragment your mesh.

> But you can also leave it to the routing protocol to detect such sketchy
> links.

Exactly...

you can easily (on the routing level) decide not to use a link that is
bad (if you have an alternative).

it is impossible to use necessary links that were not found because
the beacons were too weak.

Henning