[Battlemesh] Curious if anyone working on user-space agent for DFS in adhoc

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed Feb 11 01:04:07 CET 2015

I'm writing in follow up to scattered prior conversation on this list about
OpenWRT/linux-wireless support for running adhoc mode on DFS channels in
5GHz.  In my instance this is for US region, but this should also be
relevant to most regions where DFS support is improving.

First off, here again is Simon Wunderlich's excellent presentation on the
topic from last year's Battlemesh:
http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV7/Agenda?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=2014-05-17_wbmv7_DFS.pdf

In that time, it looks like current OpenWRT trunk r44379 now includes
initial support for the following (albeit not certified):
- Conventional ap/sta operation in DFS bands (incl. this regdb.txt patch
<http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/wireless-regdb/2015-January/000728.html>
)
- Radar pattern detection per ETSI, FCC
<http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg122196.html>, and Japan
<http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg122195.html>
- Simon's patches
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/113969> to
linux-wireless to support a user-space channel switching agent

I've verified a pair of UBNT M5 radios can talk to each other just fine on
DFS bands as ap/sta, no need for jow's reghack.

Might anyone be aware of progress towards a user-space agent like what
Simon describes, possibly using the wpa_supplicant CLI?

Lots of new functionality appears to be getting into hostap/wpa_supplicant,
but I couldn't tell yet whether that tool is doing anything with the
NL80211_ATTR_HANDLE_DFS attribute from Simon's patches.

Cheers.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net