[Battlemesh] Code of conduct

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Thu Jul 30 14:45:14 CEST 2015

On 07/30/2015 02:29 PM, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It can probably be as simple as:
>> >
>> > Don't be a knobhead.
>> > If you think someone is being a knobhead, talk to X.
> This sounds good... a healthy does of "common sense".
>
> I also think the WBM is small enough that something like this works.
> The more rules we create the more complicated it will get.

Premise: the code of conduct should be more about what you should not
do, not what you should do, in my opinion.

This proposal sounds reasonable.

I would just propose to expand a little bit what it means to be a
"knobhead" for two reasons:

 1. it should be clear also to non native or non proficient english speakers
 2. being too vague would allow somebody to argue about the meaning of
    "knobhead" potentially making the anti-harassment effort completely
    useless
 3. it could also trigger the opposite situation in which somebody might
    play the victim accusing someone he doesn't like to be behaving like
    a "knobhead"

I think the definition should be simple and short, not stuffing too many
things. Just the ones we consider very important and very dangerous of
the health and credibility of the community.

We are a small community, but it has been growing, and I personally hope
it will grow even more - I remind you that we already had mail threads
talking about a potential edition in the American continent.
Better to start doing small steps in the right direction.
We don't need laws, we need a clear procedure to protect ourselves in
case someone starts jeopardizing years of work spent building this
community.

It takes years or decades to build these kind of communities, but it
takes just a bunch of jerks with a lot of free time to destroy them.

Federico