[Battlemesh] Ligowave DLB devices hardware

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Fri Oct 16 14:24:27 CEST 2015

Nice one!

The problem preventing us from publishing and making this upstream is
still the bootloader:

The device comes with a dual-image bootloader. This is hard to support
in OpenWrt, thus we were given a "simple" bootloader which boots a
single image just like the usual Atheros U-Boot found on almost all
other ar71xx-based devices.

Now the problem is that:
 * LigoWave only distributes this "simple" bootloader "on demand"
 * They gave us only the binary, which is a GPL violation and cannot
   be *re-distributed* without the source code (which we do not
   have), otherwise who ever is re-distributing it risks being sued.

Thus the device cannot be supported in OpenWrt unless we either
 * get the full sourcecode of the "simple" loader and distribute
   in along with OpenWrt.
 * actually support the original stock dual-boot loader
   (ie. lots of work for a feature we don't want -- if anything,
   I'd rather have a "rescue" vs. "production" firmware, but not the
   "classic" flash-split-into-halfs flip-flop dual-boot.

Can you, Musti or anyone with contact to LigoWave, ask for the U-Boot
sourcecode?
A temporary (and still ugly) solution might also be that they could
offer the simple bootloader *binary* for download on their homepage.
However, as U-Boot is under GPLv2, this is also at least grey-zone'ish.

PS: Find the patches on top of OpenWrt attached. Be aware that you'll
already need the "simple" bootloader and matching LigoWave stock
firmware installed on the device *before* installing OpenWrt, which is
why it doesn't make sense to publish this yet...

Cheers

Daniel