[Battlemesh] Session about multi-homed IPv6 mesh networks and auto-configuration

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:33:03 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:

>>> maybe grabbing a real ipv6 address for long enough to get an update,
>>> that's it.
>
> There's no need to temporarily assign addresses to unnumbered links, both
> HNCP and Babel use link-local addresses for control traffic.

That's not what I meant. By "update", I meant a firmware update -
something that required access to the internet itself, by the device.

* grab a real ipv6 address
* opkg update; opkg upgrade
* go dark to the internet again and use a ULA for myself

Do I really, really, really, really always need my lightbulbs to be
globally reachable from the internet?

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/40397.html

(and btw, these lightbulbs take telnet, over ipv6, on port 22. I
bought some, because mjg has so thoroughly documented the "features"
of the device that I could hack them up for my own purposes. They are
quite fun now)

--
Dave Täht
http://blog.cerowrt.org