[Battlemesh] FCC Contacts about Wifi Regulations

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Fri Aug 5 02:48:29 CEST 2016

Hello,

I'm thinking of putting something in from the perspective of the Serval
Project, but want to run our thoughts past the community first.

For our next generation of Mesh Extenders (basically an Ath9k board +
900MHz packet radio), we are hoping to get them FCC and EC certified, and
available for sale.  Lack of development funds necessitates that we have
only one version of the hardware for all target markets.  So what we are
planning to do is to have the power lead include several additional pins,
where the power cable indicates the regulatory regime that applies to the
unit, and also whether 3rd party firmware can be loaded.

That is, to modify the regulatory regime, you either need the right cable
for that country, or alternatively, you wire up a "developer cable," that
allows you to install your own firmware.  In other words, we place a
hardware barrier to prevent abuse through trivial software reconfiguration,
but still make it easy for the development community to load their own
firmware.

What are people's thoughts on this approach?

Paul.