[Battlemesh] mesh protocol for lora

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Mon Aug 29 00:59:40 CEST 2016

Hello,

This is exactly one of the tasks that we are looking at for the Serval
Project in the next few months. We already have a similar thing working on
our Mesh Extender prototypes using a UHF packet radio.  This is all
open-source (see http://developer.servalproject.org), and operates on cheap
Linux boards, although we have not used the RPi, instead using Atheros 9k
based boards, as their WiFi supports simultaneous ad-hoc + AP.

If the radio has a UART, it would be very easy for us to integrate this,
and thus allow two-way secure text, voice recording and arbitrary file
transfer over such links, from any Android phone with the Serval Mesh app
installed.  I have CC'd Kim who is our resident HAM in the lab.

In short, I believe it would be possible to integrate your radios with the
Serval Mesh Extender concept in probably a couple of days of solid effort,
mostly around tweaking our radio interface code to talk nicely with your
radios.  All we need is a raw packet interface, we already have the
appropriate FEC and packet-loss handling code that is radio-independent.

Paul.