[Battlemesh] Proposal for battlemesh v10 "testbed"

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Thu Dec 15 11:24:49 CET 2016

On 14/12/16 14:00, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Pau <pau at dabax.net> wrote:
>> So instead of fighting protocols we will have fighting firmwares. There
>> will be many different things among the tests (each firmware might
>> include a different set of linklayer+routing+apps) that the comparison
>> among the routing protocol would not be necessary comparable.
>>
>> In any case, I find it a good idea. What we learned on last WBM is that
>> there is not a big interest on comparing protocols among the
>> participants of the event. So maybe comparing firmwares would be more
>> interesting.
>
> Another solution would be to invest in a permanent testbed somewhere.

I did my best effort in this direction this year, helping Roger Pueyo
spread the wibed nodes around the barcelona university (after WBMv9)
We deployed around 20 in a building, but the longest path was just 3
hops (i.e. most of them could hear each other directly)
Putting nodes in other nearby buildings was bureacratically challenging,
and I lost interest then.

I'd refloat the idea of using an actual community network, during the
night (say, 2 am to 6 am). We just need to sort out a way to do it
safely, if reflashing is involved for example.

I'm thinking out loud, that maybe with the librerouter we could set
something up, when we have deployed them in the real networks. We'll
have double-flash space, so we can put two firmwares (originally
intended for safe sysupgrading, but could be used for "testbed" and
"production" firmwares). Combining that with the hardware watchdog...
Anyway, will come back to this idea in a few months when we have the
prototypes.