[Battlemesh] Extending Eduroam over the community network

Filipe Borges Teixeira fbt at inesctec.pt
Tue Feb 23 15:33:47 CET 2016

Hi!

That is for sure an interesting scenario, but may raise security issues.

We will have 1 eduroam access point at the Battlemesh room, It would be
great if we could set up some solution with it.

Best Regards,
Filipe Teixeira

> Op 21/02/16 om 09:55 schreef Mitar:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Eduroam has some interesting usefulness as a global network and I
> > started wondering if it would be possible to add to our nodes Eduroam
> > SSID as a parallel SSID. One thing is to do it officially, but could
> > this be done unofficially by connecting to an existing AP somehow and
> > just bridge everything over? Can this work with 801.2x in place? So that
> > you would bridge the whole AP network over, including the 801.2x on the
> > SSID?
> >

> Yes, Eduroam service can be run in parallel over a community network. We
> have done a research project a couple of years ago and run a 'proof of
> concept'.
> In our hardware setup we have multiple ap's at each network node, so we
> installed a dedicated Eduroam-ap with WPA2 and a VPN-tunnel to a Radius
> server/proxy at the internet gateway.
>
> Details are at
> https://www.wirelessleiden.nl/projects/eduroam
> Unfortunately this documentation is in Dutch.
>
> Huub

[image: INESC TEC]

*Filipe Borges Teixeira*
Centro de Telecomunicações e Multimédia
Centre for Telecommunications and Multimedia

*INESC TEC*
Campus da FEUP
Rua Dr Roberto Frias
4200-465 Porto