[Battlemesh] Open letter from European CNs to EU policy-makers

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Sat Mar 11 22:54:54 CET 2017

Félix, great text! I especially like the initial description of
the characteristics and importance of community developed networks!
But also the issues identified are spot on.

Would sign if I were an organisation :).

Regards, Linus

PS: Also the fee trouble for Belgium was interesting to
read, didn't know about it. Regarding bitstream products, I'm a little
more sceptical, I don't have the feeling they are working for
community mesh networks here in Germany. Background:

The copper for DSL, the telephony lines, are mostly owned by the Deutsch
Telekom. The Deutsche Telekom, formerly was a state organization, but
now they are a privatized company with Germany having a 30% share.
Regarding bitstream the Deutsche Telekom is forced to make offers to
third party companies and organizations. Prices and and conditions for
bitstream are regulated by the Bundesnetzagentur (Germany's "FCC"). So,
the state has leverage over this infrastructure and can treat it as a
common good, regulating in the best interest of the public - and they
all lived happily ever after?

The number of third party companies reselling internet connections
via bitstream drastically decreased in the past decade. The prices
of bitstream products is ok for casual consumers. However they are
insane once it gets over a certain traffic volume (don't pin me
down on that, only got it from someone else, but I think it
was about 0.5€ per GB once over an xxx GB volume - if someone from
Germany knows better, then please correct me).

Long story short: Here in Germany, bitstream offers are currently not
feasible for shared internet connections.