[Battlemesh] Testbed - how to organize this year?

Paul Fuxjaeger paul.fuxjaeger at gmx.at
Fri Mar 24 14:41:02 CET 2017

thanks for the kickoff,

On 22/03/2017 11:59, Simon Wunderlich wrote:
> In the past years, I've asked for volunteers for technical help and
> organizing/planning the tests. While there were always people who
> wanted to do technical things, finding volunteers for
> planning/managing was harder, and after many years I don't know if
> that kind of role separation even makes sense.

I guess it’s the growth and thus broadening scope of last years
events that makes coordination more and more difficult here.
Nevertheless, I'm optimistic that we can come up with a set of
experiments that are interesting enough for a large group.

my personal list of burning research questions ;)

- what's currently the optimal throughput metric to use?
- does airtime fairness scheduling make sense in mesh?
- is it optimal to use 802.11s(norouting) instead of IBSS?
- what's the potential of per packet power control?

obviously, lower layer matters to me most - who else is interested in
preparing something in this direction?

> I also heard that the local team would be willing to prepare the
> venue, e.g. pre-install routers, provide maps, etc.

Yep, a couple of funkfeuer colleagues have already offered helping hands
in this regard.

One thing is certain: We will have lots of core devs on site, lots of
routers, lots of space, and roughly 5 days of time on our hands besides
the talk track. Any crazy and large network experiment is doable IF we
can agree on which one it shall be :D

-paul