[Battlemesh] Off-topic: tcpdump/Wireshark support for olsrd2?

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder+v10 at univie.ac.at
Thu Apr 5 08:06:00 CEST 2018

Hello Henning,

Thank you very much for your swift and educational reply.

(...)
> So yes, you can decode OLSRv2 and NHDP with wireshark.

Yes, I can confirm. Now I see message upon message, TLV upon TLV!

I was set on the wrong track by my toy example trace of a single router
with no neighbors, and the "packetbb" protocol designation that my web
searches failed to link to olsrd2.

With a trace from a populated network and the right search terms
("olsr", not "olsrd2", d'oh!) in hand, things fall into place.

> (I provided the original dissector to Wireshark years ago)

Cool! I saw that a few message types that RFC5444 reserves for
"experimental use" are not yet decoded though, e.g. 227:

https://github.com/OLSR/OONF/blob/c270195d5ca49bcf97c0ae9298a948c3781c1d72/src-plugins/nhdp/nhdp/nhdp.h#L78-L79

If you don't mind, I can probably contribute this to the dissector at
some point.

Thanks,
  Albert.