[Battlemesh] Off-topic: tcpdump/Wireshark support for olsrd2?

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:06:42 CEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Albert Rafetseder
<albert.rafetseder+v10 at univie.ac.at> wrote:
> Cool! I saw that a few message types that RFC5444 reserves for
> "experimental use" are not yet decoded though, e.g. 227:
>
> https://github.com/OLSR/OONF/blob/c270195d5ca49bcf97c0ae9298a948c3781c1d72/src-plugins/nhdp/nhdp/nhdp.h#L78-L79

Yes, unfortunately there is no good way to get the MAC address of
incoming UDP packets except for using a raw socket (which means you
have to deal with a lot more traffic). I need the MAC to associate the
raw linklayer data (mostly wifi) with the OLSRv2 IP packets.

So I put the MAC into a private TLV inside the Hellos.

> If you don't mind, I can probably contribute this to the dissector at
> some point.

It would be great to have a preference configuration with a table that
says "TLV x is called y" and "value z is called A". But the
documentation how to do complex configuration in Wireshark is... not
there?

Henning