[Battlemesh] IGF 2018 WS #279 Scaling community networks

panayotis antoniadis panayotis at nethood.org
Fri Nov 16 14:27:08 CET 2018

Dear all,

For those interested I had written down what I wanted to say at this
workshop:
https://etherpad.netcommons.eu/p/igf-talk

I didn't have the time to say everything but I am writing a blog entry
on this, including references.

I share this here because I truly believe that the battle of the mesh
community should take an open position against the wave of blockchain
promises to make money through sharing one's WiFi. See for example
http://ammbr.com.

The fact that Ammbr is openly supported by guifi.net and ninux.net, and
this is used in their marketing campaign as a "plus" compared to their
competitors, can harm significantly the narrative of the CN community.

I really don't mind if some people of the community believe in this
concept or think that it is worth the "compromise" toward developing
useful technology and/or funding the "real" thing. I have done also my
compromises working in two EU projects, and I don't have the right to
judge anyone.

But I think that bringing in the story these two "historical" and highly
respected CNs as a whole is a mistake.

It is not even necessary in my opinion given that the target audience of
the corresponding ICOs are typically short-sighted people seeking for
quick profit.

One can get these people anyway and raise money even without the logos
of guifi and ninux on the home page, just by showcasing the profiles of
the concrete people involved like Leandro Navarro and Leonardo Maccari
who have enough credibility on their own.

In any case, I think that it is at least worth to have a debate and
listen to the different perspectives.

My 2 cents :-)

Panos.