[Battlemesh] IGF 2018 WS #279 Scaling community networks

panayotis antoniadis panayotis at nethood.org
Fri Nov 16 18:38:41 CET 2018

Hi Leonardo,

On 16.11.18 18:21, Leonardo Maccari wrote:
> On 16/11/18 14:27, panayotis antoniadis wrote:
>
> Hi Panos,
>
>> One can get these people anyway and raise money even without the logos
>> of guifi and ninux on the home page, just by showcasing the profiles of
>> the concrete people involved like Leandro Navarro and Leonardo Maccari
>> who have enough credibility on their own.
> Just to say two things:
>  - I have no direct involvement with AMMBR. If I had, I'd have no
> problem in saying it.

I really apologize for the misunderstanding. I had in mind some results
you presented in the latest battle of the mesh on blockchain, if I
remember correctly, which were linked to Ammbr somehow.

In any case, the point was not about the specific names, but that
important people in the CN community have engaged in Ammbr either as
members or producing research that is, or could be, integrated in their
product.

This is already good enough to show that Ammbr has some support by this
community.

Adding the logos of guifi and ninux in my view could result in the
appropriation of the whole CN narrative, which is a sort of "commons".

It is built out of the efforts of all CNs in this community and deserves
at least a wider debate when two of its key members make such a "brave"
choice of support.

>  - to the benefit of the list, the reason why the ninux logo is on AMMBR
> page is explained here:
>
> https://blog.ninux.org/2017/09/16/ninux-and-ammbr/
>
> which, even if more than one year passed, still describes more or less
> my opinion.

Thanks for this. I didn't know about it.

I would keep some reserves for this "From the information we have, it
seems that the whole system will be open source and the hardware will
have an open design."

In such a dynamic environment it is very hard to guarantee it, and if it
does not happen at the end, it will be too late.

For me open source projects should start as open source. Later anything
could happen, like the recent hack of Ammbr's currency, and plans for
"openness" easily change.