[Battlemesh] Weather Radar WLAN Channel Map

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder+v10 at univie.ac.at
Tue Dec 31 09:08:35 CET 2019

Hello,

Following FunkFeuer's run-in with a weather RADAR a couple of weeks ago,
I built an interactive map showing the (nominally) RADAR-occupied WLAN
channels across Europe [1, 2].

In case you don't want to visit the website but still get an idea, know
that the WLAN channels most frequently used by weather RADARs are 124,
128, and 120, in that order.

The map is based on data by EUMETNET [3] who operate their own Google
Maps-based map, "OPERA" [4]. Theirs is focused on RADAR sites and
characteristics though, mine on WLAN channels.

Licensing side note (sorry for that): FunkFeuer received a
free-of-charge, academic license for using the OPERA database from
EUMETNET. Please contact EUMETNET if you want to use their data too. (I
think I implied to them the existence of CC-BY-NC-SA, but that seemed to
transcend their current idea of licensing modes).

However, feel free to steal the sources of my part of the work, send
merge requests, etc. [5].

Cheers,
  Albert, FunkFeuer Vienna

P.S.: I'm looking for further data sources to include. I have data for
the U.S. as well [6] -- can someone provide me an official statement
that the data is free to use, either generally or at least for this map?