[Battlemesh] Fwd: Public consultation on draft BEREC Guidelines on common approaches to the identification of the network termination point in different network topologies

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:24:44 CET 2019

Here is mine.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Benjamin Henrion <zoobab at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 5:24 PM
Subject: Public consultation on draft BEREC Guidelines on common
approaches to the identification of the network termination point in
different network topologies
To: <NTP_Guidelines at berec.europa.eu>

Dear Sir,

Thanks first of all to organize this public consultation on terminal
equipment required to access the public internet, also known as
"modems" or "routers".

Over the last 20 years, I have worked on FLOSS software projects which
"controls" those consumer routers, such as cable modems, ADSL modems,
or just simple routers.

You will find an extensible list of my contributions through my
personal website:

http://www.zoobab.com
http://www.zoobab.com/bbox2
http://www.zoobab.com/bbox3
http://www.zoobab.com/search:site/q/openwrt

I have wrote custom software and adapted existing FLOSS and non-FLOSS
software for widely deployed VDSL modems in Belgium, such as the
Belgacom Box 1, 2, 3 and 3+.

In 2010, I found several severe security flaws in the BBOX2 (open
wifi, open telnet, same publicly known login+password on all those
boxes), where malicious users could get an administrator shell on the
router from the street.

This vulnerability was most probably used to gather thousands of PPP
credentials from end users around Brussels:

https://www.lalibre.be/belgique/vendetta-le-hacker-de-belgacom-interpelle-51b8b387e4b0de6db9b924b7

I made a presentation of my findings at a security conference Hackito
Ergo Sum in Paris, and Belgacom was notified at the time of the
security flaws:

http://zoobab.wikidot.com/bbox2#toc21

But it took them more then 2 years to fix those obvious security
problems, despite my communications with their security experts
decorated with many certifications on its Linkedin profile.

My conclusion is that we cannot trust some third parties, such as
ISPs, to have the control of the software in our homes, as it creates
an insecure point in the network which is being used by malicious
actors to spy on users, compromise their privacy, and spread malware
such as miners.

It is why I urge you to refuse any pressure from the ISPs to put their
dirty hands on our routers located in our homes.

Best regards,

--
Benjamin Henrion (zoobab)
Email: zoobab at gmail.com