[Battlemesh] ImageBuilder frontend projects, or how to generate custom OpenWrt images

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Sep 30 10:34:11 CEST 2019

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 2:55 PM Baptiste Jonglez <
baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my community network we are changing the way we generate OpenWrt
> firmware images, and I took this opportunity to look at the existing
> methods based on the OpenWrt ImageBuilder and/or SDK.
>
> In the end, I found way more projects than I thought would exist!
>
> I documented everything I found here:
> https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/imagebuilder_frontends
>
> Please add any project that I may have missed, and feel free to fix or add
> more
> details if you don't like the description of your project.

> As a side-note, does anybody use uci-defaults scripts?
> https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/uci-defaults

It seems like the best way to implement customization without having to
> update file templates with each OpenWrt release, but during my quick
> overview tour I haven't noticed any project using this method.

Yes, we use it. Iirc, one thing you need to be aware of is that the
uci-defaults scripts run after any restored settings. This isn't a problem
for us, because we never save settings when reflashing. I have some
infrastructure that saves the initial uci config and diffs files in the
overlayfs, so that any local changes can be noticed and folded into
replacement firmware.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net