[Battlemesh] synthetic test results with containers?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Sep 30 11:20:46 CEST 2019

Moritz Warning <moritzwarning at web.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> has anyone thought about running batman-adv/babel/bmx etc. in containers to simulate mesh networks?
>
> 1. create json file that describes a topology along with bandwidth, packet loss etc.
> 2. create network of containers from that description
> 3. run different test to test scalability, speed, convergence etc.
>
> So far I have found https://github.com/axn/mlc / https://github.com/aparcar/mlc-ng, but it is not really usable.
> Anyway, that way we could make interesting and comparable tests.
>
> Maybe someone here has some lxc skills to create something like that.

You don't really need containers; you can just use network namespaces.
Here is a simple-ish script to setup a namespace topology:

https://github.com/sudomesh/network-lab

If you want something fancier, there's the CORE network emulator:
https://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/ncs/products/core

Or you can go all the way to ns3 if you also want to emulate the WiFi MAC...

-Toke