[Battlemesh] Souvenir from WBMv4 in Vic

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Sun Feb 2 18:37:33 CET 2020

Hi Pedro,

Maybe I can guess a bit. Or at least reiterate a bit of what I
remember.

During Battlemesh v4 there were some heated debates, some
controversies due to the presence of Ascom. And their involvment
in the military sector. This presentation from Ascom was
given at WBMv4 [0].

I guess what Benjamin might be refering to is that Ascom might
have been involved in the development of "smart", meshed mines.
And that knowledge gathered at the Battlemesh might have been used
for that.

Interestingly in 2012, so shortly after WBMv4 it seems that Ascom
had transfered the "Civil Security Business" to a new company, the
SITASYS AG (but probably Ascom Holding AG is still a shareholder
or private shareholders of Ascom became shareholders of Sitasys,
dunno).

---

Some transparency about the relations between B.A.T.M.A.N. (and my
own) and Ascom:

In 2009 before Battlemesh v2 in Brussels two employees from Ascom contacted
the batman-adv team on our public mailing list about some routing loops
they had observed with batman-adv. During the Battlemesh v2 one of these
two joined and helped Marek in developing the "batctl bisect" tool to analyze
and utlimately fix the routing issue.

After that one of the employees continued to use his experience in
Linux kernel development in his freetime to significantly improve
the batman-adv code quality and helped in getting batman-adv
merged upstream in the Linux kernel with its first release in
March 2011 / Linux 2.6.38. Which in turn significantly increased
the visibility, usability and stability of batman-adv.

Then through these contacts, after Battlemesh v3 when I was still
a student, I was offered a 6 months internship at Ascom in Switzerland.
Where I was able to very freely work on batman-adv and was allowed to
publish and share the code. The major focus was on increasing reliability
of data transfer in batman-adv in mobile scenarios.

For Wireless Battlemesh v4 the employee / batman-adv contributor
and I flew from Switzerland to Spain (the flight but not the time
was payed by Ascom). He then gave the previously mentioned
presentation which sparked the debates.

>From what I personally heard Ascom's interest in mesh was for
communication between people. And not to interconnect mines. (But I
don't know, maybe I got the student friendly version.)

After WBMv4 there were no more involvments of Ascom (or Sitasys) in
the Battlemesh or batman-adv development as far as I know.

If anyone feels like correcting or adding to this, feel free to do
so. It's been some time ago...

Regards, Linus

[0]: http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV4/Agenda?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=tech2products.pdf
[1]: https://www.ascom.com/news-and-events/news/nasdaq-feed-en/ascom-transfers-civil-security-business-to-sitasys-ag.html