[Battlemesh] New name for the Battlemesh?

yanosz freifunk at yanosz.net
Tue Feb 4 12:02:07 CET 2020

Hello,

Am 03/02/2020 um 08.41 schrieb Vincent Wiemann:
> Hi,
>
> as long as mesh technology is mostly promoted by military suppliers, I like the name as it brings awareness.
> Battlemesh is a good place to share ideas and I would miss the military people.

You misunderstood the origin - there is no military reference. It can be
understood regarding rap music, where artists perform in a given setting.

> Just look at who pays for all the research. We should be happy to be able to use it for good causes.
> Why do you wonder about mines? Everything is connected on the battlefield. "Network your battlefield."

Typically hitting civilians, mines effectively violate the Geneva treaty
and are understood to be a war crime.

> You should keep in mind that only Russia, China and the USA have a good alternative to mesh technology (satellites).

These countries are the prominent for not being subject to international
jurisdiction and cannot be made responsible for war crimes.

> Would it be better to have "satellite mines"?

I don't see, in what way a decision based on ethics could prefer one way
for committing war crimes over another.

> I'm happy there is https://github.com/open-sdr/openwifi now as it gives an open alternative to e.g. QNT-200 and
> all the commercially available (potentially flawed) chips.
> What's worse? Having open access to and knowledge of military technology or building flawed systems in secret which decide
> on war or peace?

It's worse to hand over decision on war in peace to technology.

Greetz, yanosz

--
There's a ripped off cord
To my TV screen