[Battlemesh] Meeting online with real people and without zoom :-)

panos nethood panos at nethood.org
Mon Jul 6 14:29:41 CEST 2020

Hi all,

As part of the 7at7 series, https://7at7.ch/, we try to experiment with the organization of hybrid meeting using existing equipment (good microphones and video cameras already
available) and open source webconference tools like BigBlueButton.

Tomorrow we will do our first experiment with a roundtable discussing exactly this topic, physically organized in L200*, but broadcasted live on a BBB room. See https://7at7.ch/july2020/

If this works well (you can help us to "stress test" the whole setup by joining), we would like to make a step further and do more symmetric events, e.g., a roundtable spanning more than one spaces. In this case a workshop with 20 people would need just 2-3 connections and thus less bandwidth, and less need to use commercial products like zoom, while the "breakout" rooms will be already set

I know that this "linking of spaces" have been tried since the very first days of the Internet.

But it still does not work "for the masses" (I think that one reason of the so called "zoom fatigue" is also the generally pool audiovisual quality of
connections), perhaps because it was not so much needed until now.

So, I think we should try harder  (not only for Corona but also since we need to travel less anyway)

Best,

Panos.

* L200 is a collective "hybrid" space in Zurich which many interesting design and governance issues. A related article has been recently published at the Journal of Peer Production:
http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-14-infrastructuring-the-commons-today-when-sts-meets-ict/peer-reviewed-papers/central-urban-space-as-a-hybrid-common-infrastructure/