[Battlemesh] Radio directive again, consultation of 'experts' running till 22 May 2020

Caleb James DeLisle cjd at cjdns.fr
Tue Mar 31 23:17:30 CEST 2020

Answered.

Couple of the comments I left, maybe inspiration:

There is a serious fraud and data protection risk if software is not updated promptly, so called
"unpatched devices" are the single greatest vulnerability for hackers to pray on. Therefore it is
very important that manufacturers are able to quickly push software security updates without
regulatory intervention. However, not all manufacturers are dedicated to long term software support
of the devices they sell - leaving consumers to choose between replacing a device which ostensibly
works, and potentially creating a security vulnerability in their home or workplace network.
Therefore the accessibility of 3rd party operating system and driver software is critical to fraud,
data protection and overall cybersecurity.

FOSS projects create a large amount of releases for many platforms (many of which have been
abandoned by their manufacturers), getting regulatory compliance for all releases on all platforms
would overburden low budget teams which develop them.
Secondly, FOSS software often finds itself in competition with proprietary software developed by the
hardware manufacturer who have in the past used technical measures to stifle such competition. So it
is foreseen that hardware manufacturers may attempt to guide the RRS regulatory process to further
stifle competition against their pre-packaged software.

Communications protocol software developers, especially FOSS, tend to be heavily focused on
correctness and compliance, so clear guidelines, self-regulation and assistance (including sponsored
compliance auditing and development for popular FOSS projects) can be highly beneficial.

The fraud, data-protection and cybersecurity risk from of manufacturers who create devices which are
not consumer-upgradable and then neglect to offer security patches to publicly known vulnerabilities
in a timely mannor should not be overlooked.