[Battlemesh] Mesh Routing Protocol Comparison

Caleb James DeLisle cjd at cjdns.fr
Sat May 2 17:16:07 CEST 2020

Hey Mortiz,
This data is fantastic. Thank you for putting this together. I'm surprised that the cjdns DHT stuff
didn't come in last at everything. That algorithm is deprecated but left on because it does work
when no route server is available. I'd really like to migrate to Yggdrasil algorithm for these cases.

Obviously I'd love to have the kind of scaling properties of something like Babel, but cjdns and
Yggdrasil have the additional constraint of having been designed to operate in an environment with
hostile nodes.

When I read the mobility testing, I'm not completely clear as to whether I'm looking at drop rate of
pings between nodes who have themselves changed peer relationships, or between stable nodes in a
globally dynamic network. In the second case I would intuitively expect to see a good showing from
Yggdrasil since it will just switch to tree routing when it gets confused. However if the
destination moves then that has to go through the DHT, and we might find this is in fact hobbling
the protocol.

If this is in fact the case, then my intuition is that the DHT nodes should gossip link state
updates to their keyspace neighbors and communicating nodes should be able to subscribe to receive
link state updates of those with whom they have active sessions.

Thanks,
Caleb