[Battlemesh] [WLANware] NAT Slipstreaming (CVE-2020-28041)

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Wed Nov 4 02:24:14 CET 2020

We've discussed this on the IRC channel on the same day, see
https://freenode.irclog.whitequark.org/openwrt-devel/2020-11-02#28272739

included in official OpenWrt (Linux 2.6.36.4brcmarm+, offending
module is called tdts.ko).
Any recent version of OpenWrt is fine as even if other similarly
vulnerable nat-extra modules were installed, they would not be
assigned automatically.

Nobody should still be using EOL'ed OpenWrt with Kernel as old as
4.7 (that'd be LEDE 17.01 running Linux 4.4, OpenWrt 18.06 is running
a mix of 4.9 and 4.14, depending on the target). So in case you
haven't updated your router in 3 years, please do so now if you want
to make sure your users to accidentally open ports by visiting a
malicious website. To the best of my knowledge you would still not
be affected, as vanilla Linux' NAT helpers are always only snooping
on specific ports and would not be triggered by something happening
on port 80. But to be sure, update to at least OpenWrt 18.06.

If you are using proprietary firmware on your gateway running
Linux 2.6, well, you most likely got some more problems....