[Battlemesh] Recon Announcement for Battlemesh V16

Arınç ÜNAL arinc.unal at arinc9.com
Mon Sep 11 21:08:20 CEST 2023

Hi everyone!

We're planning to host Battlemesh V16 in Cyprus.

As the first step, the plan is to organize the traditional "Battlemesh recon mission", ideally in November 2023 to prepare the upcoming event. The goal is to meet local people, plan accomodation, figure out what social activities to do, find where to host the most of the event, talks, workshops, etc.

A number of people have already expressed interest in joining the effort but everyone is welcome! Should you be interested, please reach out!

In Battlemesh V15 in Barcelona, I proposed to host the next Battlemesh in Cyprus. There are certain reasons I proposed Cyprus. As the Battlemesh community is majorly European, I want to bring European attention to the situation Cyprus, a European Union member state, is in. If you've never heard of the phrase "the Cyprus problem", this will be a great event to bring awareness to it.

Cyprus has been divided into two parts because of the invasion in 1974. This country witnessed gaining its independence in 1960, the Greek and Turkish Cypriots having acts of violence against each other, a coup detat attempt, and finally having its north territory occupied in 1974. It's an island country located in the Mediterranean, east of Greece and south of Türkiye.

Very similar to Berlin, the border goes through the middle of its capital city, Nicosia. It divides the round shaped city center into two half circles.

Nowadays, there's no active conflict. There's a buffer zone between two sides which the United Nations peacekeepers control. It's completely safe and the borders are open. Cypriots and tourists visit the occupied side without a hinch. Mostly Turkish Cypriots and Turkish settlers live in the north.

The Nicosia International Airport is stuck in the buffer zone. It's like a time capsule in there, the ad posters from the 70s are still there.

I want to bring Greek and Turkish Cypriots together in this event. I want people to hear their problems, what they hope to happen in Cyprus in the future. It will be great to make the Cypriots feel included in a European event like ours. More people aware of the Cyprus problem means more eyes on the situation which will help reaching a long overdue solution to this problem.

What to do apart from talks and workshops. We can swim, visit local places, walk in the nature. We can explore more options when we're there.

Arınç