[Ninux-day] Wrap-up

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Mon Nov 30 19:02:34 CET 2009

Hi all,

First of all, thanks again to ninux for hosting this meeting. Was great
to meet personally many skilled people and get updated on other
communities, the OSA as well as on the state of the art of some very
interesting development projects.
Sunday was a bit crazy for me because of a sickness, but i find for me
useful to review a bit. I find two major goals which might be generic
for all the groups, or at least the ones that now I'm able to remember.
Please point whatever you think I'm missing. I'll also make a few
comments on Italy,

    * Management apps for managing open networks. There are many
      solutions, experiences and knowledge over the field, however the
      amount of reusability of those developments is still limited.
      Might be useful to architecture a much more modular oriented
      approach in order to enable this reusability. A good starting
      point might be to create a mailintg list and start contributing
      there. My feeling is that there is already lot of impressing stuff
      over there and we can start with just a site compiling some docs
      and a DTD description of the data needed to describe a network,
      and have it for the next meeting will be really great.
    * Although I was not involved in those talks, but updtated on this
      from some colleagues, looks likes we might fins also useful to
      publish the private IP reanges everyone is using. We have also a
      database app capable for that, it maybe can be configured at the
      same site as mentioned before. In our case that app allocates
      ranges automatically while creating nodes, but might be also
      entered manually.

On Italy in particular, I was still thinking on their particular legal
setup. Although is about Italy, makes a lot of sense to cooperate across
the UE while looking after the interests of community networks, and for
sure one of the jey points is to abolish any fear of being not legal for
just doing links between us and using unlicensed spectrum. OSA is a very
good example of this. Alex already suggested to take some feedback on
what could be the next step on this, I'm also wondering if we can
already send a formal letter to Brussels complaining on this, or if
before we do send a letter to the Italy regulator asking formally if
they really do require an authorization while using unlicensed bands and
non-profit purposes outdoors (incl. not owner domains), so if their
answer is yes, then we will be more than ready to complain on Italy in
front of the comission because of that..., and we can send the letter
not only on behalf of ninux, also as OSA, or any other community
oriented org like guifi.net Foundation. Let's think on this, but in my
opinion we should take an action and lot leave the things as they are now.

Also, regarding the AS numbers, IP adrdesses, RIPE membership, etc, and
for those who might be interested in getting/participating in those
things, to me makes sense to reuse the same membership as for any
community/neutral/open network, and at a cost basis. I'll find out how
we can make it happen, both from the RIPE site, and internally and at
which cost: I mean, makes sense to facilitate those resources between
us, and for other hand those resources do have some obligations
following the RIPE policies and also won't make sense to provide those
things for private networks. It may be enough to be networks under a
common licensing to ensure they are used also at open networks. Pls
debate on this.

Ramon