[Nodeshot] Not reinventing the wheel and Helping out

Charles N. Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sun Jan 5 18:13:37 CET 2014

On 1/5/2014 10:39 AM, nemesis wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:39:50 -0600, "Charles N. Wyble"
> <charles at knownelement.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I found this approach so good that I decided to extract a feature of
>>> nodeshot into a separate pure-python repository:
>>> https://github.com/nemesisdesign/netengine
>>

>> Please embrace/extend/use trigger:
>>
>> http://trigger.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>>
>> Adding OpenWRT support to that package would be a HUGE win.
>

> That would be interesting. But we should get in touch with the authors
> of that library before proceeding.

Why?

http://trigger.readthedocs.org/en/latest/new_vendors.html

Just start hacking and send a pull request.

> Our main need is to have a common API to extract information from devices.

That is precisely what trigger is for. It also supports writing to the
devices.

> We have to understand if some features we need are compatible with the
> goals of that library and if authors are willing to let us contribute.
> If they're positive about it that would be awsome :)

They are. They want to support all vendors (according to the site). I'm
starting work on adding a few vendors I use (h3c/hp/3com).