[Ninux-Wireless] [Google SoC] Student seeking advice - Collabortive Music Composition

OrazioPirataDelloSpazio (Lorenzo) ziducaixao a autistici.org
Ven 23 Mar 2012 02:57:59 CET

Hi Elyas!
I have just come back from our meeting where we discussed about GSoC and
the project idea. While the page [1] is almost definitive, it will be
finalized in this week (for the project you are interested in, I don't
foresee any major change).
For the "Collaborative Music Composition" project and about your questions:
On 3/18/12 7:18 PM, Elyas Bhy wrote:
>    Do you think it would be tough for me to adapt to web
>    programming, knowing that I have solid experience in C and Java, but no
>    experience in web development whatsoever?
There is nothing impossible, it is just a matter of time. Theoretically
in one week if you manage C and Java you can learn python. A bit of time
study django (they have great tutorials) and some time to get practiced
with javascript (same as python), html and css. The total amount of time
to be ready-to-start varies too much from person to person, imho if you
are motivated one month is ok.

>    - What is the current status of this project? Will we be able to add
>    further extensions when the core tasks are finished?
The current status is 0 (just the idea). We have to develop all the
infrastructure and we are ready to accept good advices! We plan to ask
musicians about specification and keep it more open we can.
>    - I'm wondering if you already a planned roadmap, or if we have the
>    freedom to be creative about some functionalities to add to the project?
The "must" is the "core". With the selected student we will write a
roadmap. Apart from those functionalities, the more the best!
>    - I couldn't find your IRC channel. Is there any alternative address?
Sure, jabber:
http://wiki.ninux.org/Jabber

(information has not been yet translated sorry, it is in our TODO list!)

For now apply to the project (student deadline Apr 6 [2] according to G.
schedule) so that we can collect student projects and analyze them in
our community. The winner students depends on the quality of the
proposed student project (you should write your project/idea in that
google form), on the slots Google decides to give to us and on the
community needs.

Thanks for your interest and good luck!

Lorenzo

[1]http://wiki.ninux.org/GSoCIdeas2012