[Ninux-Wireless] Freifunk Memorandum of Understanding

Nemesis nemesis a ninux.org
Sab 16 Maggio 2015 19:12:34 CEST

Community diverse, problemi simili.

Vi consiglio di leggere questo:
https://github.com/freifunk/MoU/blob/master/FreifunkMemorandumofUnderstanding_en.md

Riporto per la felicità degli archivi.

  Freifunk Memorandum of Understanding

After 10 years Freifunk is quite successful, well known and widespread.
However we don't see that the original ideas and goal of Freifunk are
still taken into consideration by all communities or all community
members. Our main concern is not to exclude communities which don't
identify themselves with the hereby stated self-understanding. But we
are interested in a basic dispute about what we are doing here jointly
under the label Freifunk. This draft was written by a group associated
with the Förderverein Freie Netzwerke e.V. It is meant to be a basic
principle of understanding and intends to encourage all communities to
reflect on the stated topics. Why do we engage in Freifunk? Which ideas
are behind it? Which goals do we pursuit? According to which principle
do we make decisions and take action? It is the goal of this ext, to
develop an understanding which connects all individuals and groups who
act under the label Freifunk.

    Preamble

Free (wireless) networks are build and provided by many local
initiatives. The users are simultaneously operators of the computer
networks. They create "do it yourself" network by self-reliantly
connecting apartments, houses, streets of houses, districts, villages or
whole cities. A Freifunk-network is built in a decentralized way and is
operated by many individuals. This decentralized structure of
organization promotes deliberately local activities instead of wanting
to be governed by a higher entity. "Frei" (free) stands for making these
networks open and anonymously accessible, they are to be operated in a
non-commercial way, are not analyzed and the thereby contained
information is not to be inspected, modified or censored. Although
Freifunk refers primarily to WLAN-networks, the term "freie Netzwerke"
should be taken into a broader context. It is oriented among others by
the freenetworks.org definition. Despite all decentralization we
reasonable and important to come to a common understanding on the basic
principles of the undertaking Freifunk, in order to act jointly and
support each other in our activities.

    Goals of Freifunk

The use of technical networks has become a everyday occurrence long ago,
nevertheless the underlying power and action mechanism are often not
being reflected on sufficiently. Freifunk has set one of its goal to be
the creation of an awareness of these contexts in the broader society
and to promote the free and open access to give impulses for a
self-determined actions. Thereby we would like to include the needs of
distinct societal groups. We consider diversity and a broad spectrum of
ideas to be an important foundation to reach these goals. We would like
to encourage all participants to take matters in their own hands and
support them to get familiarized with the subject matter. We are aware
of the fact that this is an elaborate learning process. However we would
like to avoid the continuation of knowledge-hierarchies by the desire of
participant to be merely supplied. According to our view this leads to
the erosion of the basic idea of a "do it yourself" network. Being
Freifunkers we participate in the political process getting the judicial
preconditions for free networks. Hereby the Freifunk movement is above
party lines.

    Principles of Freifunk

It is our wish to have the social community-building and the technical
implementation of free networks in the communities according to similar
principles: decentralized, with as few and as shallow hierarchies as
possible, yet with a common agreements. Many of our principles have
already been formulated elsewhere. As Freifunkers we commit to the
following already existing documents:

  * Pico Peering Agreement
  * Our Vision:
  * Free Culture Definition
  * Community Wireless Definition
  * free networks definition
  * secrecy of telecommunications (GG Art. 10,1)
  * pinciple of Datensparsamkeit (data scarsity) and Datenvermeidung
    (data avoidance) (BDSG § 3a
  * We do not log!
  * The hacker ethics of the Chaos Computer Clubs (CCC) is transferable
    to free networks.
  * The declaration of the incompatibility of the CCC “acknowledge color
    against fascism” , especially the paragraph “Die Erklärung”

      Technical principles

The Pico Peering Agreement is the basis of our networks. For us the
following pillars constitute a free network:

  * Our nodes build a mesh-network among on another. When talking about
    freifunk-network we refer to this mesh network, which is being
    created between the routers. It ends where the internet begins, that
    is where a router routes the data traffic into the internet. And it
    ends where the private home-network begins.
  * We design our networks to be open and public: everybody can operate
    a node and thereby extend the network.
  * Our network is accessible anonymously, neither users nor node
    operators should register to participate.
  * Our network is non-commercial.
  * Nobody censors in our network.
  * We abide by the secrecy of telecommunications law.
  * Privacy protection and data scarsity: We log neither connection nor
    inventory data. We do not save person related data. The disclosure
    of email-addresses for the purpose of making contact as well as
    coordinates on the map are optional.
  * Users are themselves responsible for end-to-end encryption and
    anonymizing their traffic.

When designing our networks we pay attention to decentrality. Therefore
a small admin group or individual persons having control over a whole
(sub)network does not reflect our thinking. Node operators have the to
make the decision whether to chose remote maintenance. Interventions on
the nodes, for example firmware upgrades or other remote administration
work have always been done with explicit agreement of the respective
operators. Node operators can furthermore decide weather they would like
to provide internet access, be it for the participants of the mesh
network or for the public. Hereby it is important that Freifunk is not
to be perceived as "provider for gratis internet access". Decisions
about releases in the local communities are made jointly. The firmware
for our nodes is based on free software. We publish further developments
likewise as FLOSS. Having a best possible documentation the operator
should be enabled to extend the firmware themselves or give suggestions
for improvements. Openness creates confidence in the software.

      Social principles

A pleasant social climate is important for our communities. With
Freifunk we would like to achieve that people participate actively and
feel well independent of gender, sexual orientation, origin, believe,
looks, age and further (factual or attributed) traits. The social
interaction should be respectful; newly interested are always welcome.
We do not tolerate any form of discrimination. For us this amounts to:
We neither space for nazis, nor racism, sexism or other forms of
inhumane behavior. "Participation", can include according to our
understand at least the following: using free networks and operating
nodes one's self, socially connecting in local communities, being active
in the local or supra-regional Freifunk community with his own
abilities. Participation is not limited to technical abilities. Every
form or engagement are explicitly welcome and are seen as contributions
to the community. We are aware that questions of power arise in our
communities: power, attribution of power and exercise of power are made
easier by centralized social as well as centralized technological
structures. This is one of the reasons why we word according to the
principle of decentrality. Also questions of power can be related to
unequally distributed technical expertise. It is important for us to
deal responsibly with this matter and to address and - where it is
possible - reduce questions of power. We would like to achieve this
through maximum knowledge transfer and decentralized structures.

      Proper handling of information and knowledge

We want to learn to build and operate networks instead of having them
set up and maintained by "experts". We call that "do it yourself
network". We would like to empower and encourage people to actively
engage in the creation of infrastructure and to research and design the
impact of technology on society. We promote the understanding of
networks and network technology ("Network/Code Literacy"), therefore we
pass on knowledge at any time and make the code publicly available. We
research and experiment with infrastructure, therefore we do not have
aspirations for permanent availability. Creation of "do it yourself"
networks is a process. We are aware that this process does not attain
every goal always at the same time. Therefore we regularly reflect
critically without hostility. We give priority to learning and
improvement of social and technological structures.

      Forms of organization

A Freifunk-community is a loose affiliation of several individuals in
the best case. Local associations can support the group for example when
collecting donations or when signing contracts. Founding an own
association is no precondition for freifunk. Changes are jointly decided
about by all active participants, not only by all members of providers
or associations. For the few community-overlapping decisions we
establish "Freifunk Advisory Council", a representation of
community-members of the different federal states. This council can be
called in when there are conflicts between communities.