[Ninux-Wireless] Fwd: Re: [Battlemesh] Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU)

nemesis nemesis a ninux.org
Gio 18 Feb 2016 10:18:28 CET

 Alcuni modelli TP-Link locked.

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: [Battlemesh] Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU)
 Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:56:02 -0500
 From: Adam Longwill <adam.longwill a metamesh.org>
 Cc: Sebastian Raible <sebastian a raible.org>

 Yes. Less than 24 hours ago I was given the following information from
 a customer service rep from tplink:

 Adam Longwill09:10:01 pm downgrading does not work
  I get an 18005 errror
  upon attempting to downgrade
  I want to know if this is because of the FCC's rules regarding
 broadcast strength and DFS control. Has TP-Link complied with these
 rules and locked down its firmware and if so, for what models
  I need to know if I am going to continue purchasing devices from you.

  Camille09:13:25 pm wait one moment please
  Thanks for your waiting, right now only these products has limitation
 on firmware: Archer C7 V2 Archer C1900 V1 Touch P5 V1 Archer C2600 V1
 Archer C3200 V1 Archer C2 V1 Archer C5 V2 Archer C8 V1 Archer C9 V1
 TL-WR841N V11 TL-WDR3500 V1 TL-WR940N V3.0 TL-WR1043ND V3.0
 TL-WR710N(USA) TL-WR841N V9.0
  and all products will also limite firmware in the future.

     Adam Longwill09:26:19 pm Wow. Thank you. I'm impressed with
 your digging
  And this limitation is due to FCC rule clarifications in 2015?
  And not some other reason

   Camille09:28:15 pm Right, due to FCC

  Adam Longwill09:28:50 pm Thank you very much. Can you explain why the
 WDR3600 appears to be locked down? Is it possible that your list is not
 totally updated?
  And do you have a method or avenue that people who wish to use other
 firmware have?

  Camille09:34:02 pm Yes, wdr3600 as dual band wifi router, is also
 locked down. And there is no other way to use other firmware. Sorry for
 that

  Adam Longwill09:34:19 pm Thank you very much, Camille. You've been
 very helpful

 Sorry for the formatting, I'm on mobile.

 I'm very interested in what we, as a community, can do to ensure we can
 continue to build our networks.
[...]

 Dear fellow meshas,

 we are searching, if there is a proof that manufacturers already
 locking down to follow the EU 2014/53 or FCC?

 The result is that alternative software cannot be flashed, even if they
 stated in the guideline that this was not the goal?
 An article or spec or something?

 Thanks a lot, Monic

 PS: ETSI has the standard for DRM on SDR-Modules nearly finished …
 one said to me, but I don’t have more infos at the moment.