[Ninux-Wireless] Fwd: LibreMesh Release Candidate and call for testing

Ilario Gelmetti iochesonome a gmail.com
Sab 26 Set 2020 13:43:51 CEST

Ri-invio una mia mail: in novembre dovrebbe uscire una nuova versione di
LibreMesh (dopo 3 anni dall'ultima!!) e c'è bisogno di gente che provi
se funziona tutto più o meno bene.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: **Release Candidate** and call for testing
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 12:55:45 +0200
From: Ilario Gelmetti <iochesonome at gmail.com>
To: libremesh users <lime-users at lists.libremesh.org>

Great news:
SAn TAGGED A RELEASE CANDIDATE FOR THE LIBREMESH 20.09 RELEASE!!
Even if the LibreMesh development never stopped, it was since the 17.06
"Dayboot Rely" release that we didn't have an _official_ release.
The goal is to have the **final release at the beginning of November**.

This means that the release candidate needs testing, bug fixing and
loads of community love before the end of October, so that we can have
an amazing release that can actually ease the creation of community
networks everywhere :)

We can coordinate the efforts on this mailing list and on the
IRC/Element chatroom (Element is the new name of Riot chat):
https://libremesh.org/communication.html

Seems that the next release will be (at least initially) source-only,
which means that you will have to compile it yourself on top of OpenWrt
18.06.8 or 19.07.4. Right now there's no way to download the
pre-compiled binary, but I hope this will be available at some point.

In order to compile the release candidate follow the instructions from
the Development page:
https://libremesh.org/development.html

As you can see in the compiling instructions, both OpenWrt 18.06.8 or
19.07.4 can be used as a base, but I think we should have more testing
on the newest 19.07.4 (until now the testing has been focussed mostly on
18.06.8).

There's no need to select the release candidate branch for the
compilation, seems that the master branch will be used also for the
testing and the relevant commits will be cherry-picked in November (SAn,
please correct if I'm wrong).

You can see the known issues on the tickets list:
https://github.com/libremesh/lime-packages/issues

And if you want to take care of an issue (thanks!!!), please have a look
at these lists where you can find some indication of the priority:
https://github.com/orgs/libremesh/projects/2

A last thing:
do we need a codename for the release or "20.09" is enough?
Propose your favourite name, starting with the "E" letter if possible,
on the chatroom and then we'll organise a poll :)

Thanks!!!
Ilario

--
Ilario