[Nodeshot] Networking features in nodeshot

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Mon Nov 30 18:48:31 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

In the latest months I've been working a lot in order to extract some
nodeshot modules that would be more successful in separate projectsthat
can be included into nodeshot.

In the process of extraction I have also been working on adding new
features that will beavailable in nodeshot in the near future.

These features are all related to community networks, which is the main
use cases from which nodeshot is born.

I'm talking about these projects:

  * netdiff, pure python library that is in charge of analyzing network
    topology: https://github.com/ninuxorg/netdiff
  * django-netjsongraph, django app that is built on top of netdiff:
    https://github.com/interop-dev/django-netjsongraph
  * netjsongraph.js, javascript library (based on d3):
    https://github.com/interop-dev/netjsongraph.js
  * netjsonconfig, pure python library that generates OpenWRT
    configurations: https://github.com/openwisp/netjsonconfig

The good news isI'm very satisfied with the results I'm obtaining!
The bad news is that it will take longer than expected to finish the
process and release the 1.0.
The truth is I was not satisfied with the quality of the current
architecture in nodeshot. I would especially like to separate completely
the nodeshot core from the networking features, simplify some modules
and remove afew cumbersome hacks.

I want to finish this process before releasing the 1.0, because 1.0 is
meant to be a stable release, after the 1.0 is out I won't be able to do
drastic changesanymore, so I think it's better to solve these problems
right now, I'm sure that the benefits in the long term will be long lasting.

I've talked a lot about the reasons that led me to these decisionsat
different events, eg at the Battlemesh v8 in Sloveniawhichison youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQKtIWL8vk.

Pheraphs we could just release a 0.10 somewhen soon ...

Federico