[Battlemesh] Nice meshwork project based on cellphones

Xavier Carcelle xavier.carcelle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 14:58:11 CEST 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your great project!

>>> We do have the IDEOS X1 as our primary supported phone, but it will
>>> work on some other models of phone as well, e.g., Samsung Galaxy S 2,
>>> various other IDEOS family phones and so on.

>> Any progress on the mesh over GSM side?

> We do have plans to use the baseband radio in the ISM915 band
> (915-928MHz) in the countries where it is allowed (notably not in
> Europe).  The big challenge is getting the baseband radio programming
> information.  However, we are beginning to work with a handset
> manufacturer to explore this space.
> We expect 1km-3km range between handsets in good conditions.
> Certainly the Serval Project is designed with this goal in mind.

Following up the question of Benjamin, I am wondering how could you
access the base-band processor of "smart phones" (not features phones
that usually carry one chip for AP+BP) to be able to manipulate the
base-band (changing the frequency to outter bands than official ARFCN
and implementing a layer1/2/3 stack for peer-to-peer radio connexions)
?

Cheers,

Xavier.