[Battlemesh] Nice meshwork project based on cellphones

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Tue Apr 24 20:10:31 CEST 2012

Hi Xavier,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Xavier Carcelle
<xavier.carcelle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for your great project!

>>> Any progress on the mesh over GSM side?
>
>> We do have plans to use the baseband radio in the ISM915 band
>> (915-928MHz) in the countries where it is allowed (notably not in
>> Europe).  The big challenge is getting the baseband radio programming
>> information.  However, we are beginning to work with a handset
>> manufacturer to explore this space.
>> We expect 1km-3km range between handsets in good conditions.
>> Certainly the Serval Project is designed with this goal in mind.
>
> Following up the question of Benjamin, I am wondering how could you
> access the base-band processor of "smart phones" (not features phones
> that usually carry one chip for AP+BP) to be able to manipulate the
> base-band (changing the frequency to outter bands than official ARFCN
> and implementing a layer1/2/3 stack for peer-to-peer radio connexions)
> ?

Basically you need to cooperation of the handset vendor or chipset
vendor, and probably some NDAs.
We have found a friendly handset vendor who is likely to implement
this one their handsets (they already have the NDAs with the chipset
vendor, so it makes it all much easier).  This is our plan, anyway. If
we achieve this, you can be sure that we will let everyone know.

Otherwise, we need to design an open-hardware BP chipset so that it is
easy for everyone to do what they like with it.  This is my long-term
dream.  Naturally we need some people good with VHDL or Verilog, and
eventually lots of money to get the masks and samples produced.

Paul.