[Battlemesh] Nice meshwork project based on cellphones

Ferry Huberts mailings at hupie.com
Tue Apr 24 21:33:58 CEST 2012

On 24-04-12 20:10, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
> Hi Xavier,
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Xavier Carcelle
> <xavier.carcelle at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for your great project!

>>> We do have plans to use the baseband radio in the ISM915 band
>>> (915-928MHz) in the countries where it is allowed (notably not in
>>> Europe).  The big challenge is getting the baseband radio programming
>>> information.  However, we are beginning to work with a handset
>>> manufacturer to explore this space.
>>> We expect 1km-3km range between handsets in good conditions.
>>> Certainly the Serval Project is designed with this goal in mind.
>>
>> Following up the question of Benjamin, I am wondering how could you
>> access the base-band processor of "smart phones" (not features phones
>> that usually carry one chip for AP+BP) to be able to manipulate the
>> base-band (changing the frequency to outter bands than official ARFCN
>> and implementing a layer1/2/3 stack for peer-to-peer radio connexions)
>> ?
>
> Basically you need to cooperation of the handset vendor or chipset
> vendor, and probably some NDAs.
> We have found a friendly handset vendor who is likely to implement
> this one their handsets (they already have the NDAs with the chipset
> vendor, so it makes it all much easier).  This is our plan, anyway. If
> we achieve this, you can be sure that we will let everyone know.
>
> Otherwise, we need to design an open-hardware BP chipset so that it is
> easy for everyone to do what they like with it.  This is my long-term
> dream.  Naturally we need some people good with VHDL or Verilog, and
> eventually lots of money to get the masks and samples produced.

maybe not ;-)
you can always prototype on FPGAs and demonstrate a successful prototype
to an investor who might then be tempted to fork over the money to
produce chips (for a certain percentage ofcourse).

you just need someone that KNOWS how BPs work and is able to put down a
good design, and then some people to implement that design, and then
some more people to write tests (this is actually the hardest part that
will take about 80% of your time)...

maybe not so easy ;-)

> Paul.
>
>> Cheers,