[Battlemesh] WBM V6 Ibiza & Formentera

Michel de Geofroy micheldegeofroy at gmail.com
Wed May 2 14:51:43 CEST 2012

Hi All,

First of all I want everyone not to misunderstand my position, when I do
something I do it best I can … it may come across as me desperately wanting
the event to be in Formentera, but in reality its much more comfortable to
be a guest than a host as the ones who have hosted events understand
especially if you want to make it a fun and cheap one.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Federico Capoano <
federico at nemesisdesign.net> wrote:

>  The veiled discussion here is:
>
> Organizing an event where there are existing community networks *VS *Organize
> an event where there are not community networks yet to promote the creation
> of community networks
>
> From what I understood, BattleMesh has been always organized by existing
> community networks to meetup, share, compare the work done by each group
> and eventually collaborate. The main feature was the fact that some
> existing community hosted the event and many here would like it to stay
> that way.
>
> In Michel's case, he wants to organize an event in a place where (from
> what I've understood, correct me if i'm wrong) there's no real community
> network yet and this would probably promote our model there.

There are more than 60 people that are sharing their internet connection
using Robin OLSR initially with support of cloudtrax and now mostly with
wifi-mesh I do not know if "you" consider this a community network ? are
they hackers or knowledgable in WiFi ? I would say no, they are just your
average person that feels good about sharing.

> Personally I think that an event to promote community networks in the
> balearic islands would be great, I lived there 3 years, I know Ibiza quite
> well and I could ask around if there's a way to get help in organizing such
> an event.
> What I'm not sure though, is if it makes sense to bring there the
> "BattleMesh" format, because hardly anyone living there would be able to
> understand what we would be talking about during most part of the event!

I agree most local people would be learning more than anything else

>  In my opinion it would make more sense to organize a new kind of event
> with a different format and name, which would be aimed at promoting
> community neworks, using a language that anybody would be able to
> understand, focused on some talks and demonstrations.

Honestly I would not be interested in creating yet another event  better go
to Denmark  since honestly I am probably the least one interested in
Formentera I live here :)

> My 2 cents

Cheers to all :)