[Battlemesh] Hardware to bring for Battlemeshv12

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 15:32:46 CEST 2019

I've been looking for a chance to check out the Turris models. I'm
glad you're bringing a few.

I happened to test the raw and wireguard performance of 4 models
yesterday while preparing them for packing:
GLinet B1300:
    Didnt test stock firmware; Forgot to do straight speedtest
    wireguard: 220down 120up
Linksys WRT1900ACS:
    Stock Firmware : 800down 400up
    Openwrt: 800down 400up (sameish)
    wireguard: 730down 120up
    pings were flat, but variance was +/-20% on most readings
Linksys WRT3200ACM:
    Stock Firmware: 820down 430up
    Openwrt: 865down 430up
    wireguard: 700down 130up
Espressobin v5
    Openwrt: 750down 430up
    wireguard : 80down 50up ( third try )
    pings had spikes and high variance.

Above raw and wireguard sources and network were all Gbit capable.
I guess the Linksys ones make sense as they have 1.6-1.8Ghz CPUs (
only 2 cores ) compared to 700Mhz and 1Ghz of the other two.
I'm also glad to see Openwrt matching stock firmware speed and that it
ran directly with no troubles.

I'll be bringing a Lenovo W520 laptop that can do 1Gb/s easily and can
be left on-site for the testbed that we can all use.
I would be happy to bring a second, but I'm not sure I have enough room.

-Zach