[Battlemesh] Introducing myself, chat about open source critical infrastructure

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 11:40:42 CEST 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 2:00 AM Jessica Feldman <feldman.jm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My name is Jessica Feldman - I'm a professor at the American University of
> Paris in the Communications Dept. I research how community groups
> (particularly those with democratic and left politics) design tech, which
> designs work and don't work for them, etc. (I've also been slowly working
> with some engineers back in my hometown of NYC on an encrypted mobile mesh
> network, although that is going very slowly...) I've met or talked to a few
> of you here & there. I'm coming by battlemesh this afternoon and really
> looking forward to the talks.
>
> I'm currently also involved in this research project, which is about how
> to define and fund "open source critical digital infrastructure". (This
> is the project:
> https://pacscenter.stanford.edu/research/digital-civil-society-lab/mapping-policy-infrastructure-2/.
> It’s funded by the Ford Foundation:
> https://www.fordfoundation.org/ideas/equals-change-blog/posts/announcing-13m-in-funding-for-digital-infrastructure-research/
> ).

ESR named me a LBIP a while back. To say that the stuff that he and I do is
severely
underfunded is an understatement. He wrote it up originally here:
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8383

Our prior attempt (icei.org) shuttered a few months ago.

More details on that concept, here:

https://esr.gitlab.io/loadsharers/

I'll be in the conference by 1ish today.

> I'm trying to interview people who are involved in building such projects
> to learn what they think of as critical, and how they fund/sustain their
> projects (or how they want to.) We're particularly interested in the
> importance of nfp/open-source projects for practicing progressive (define
> that as you like) politics. I was anyone out there would be interested in
> having a chat/coffee/interview about some of these questions in the next
> days (I'm based in Paris so I'm around.) Happy to tell you more about the
> research, send my questions and privacy practices, etc, and answer any
> questions you might have about it.
>
> Please reach out if you are able to chat! All my various contact info is
> below.

I have a really bright orange bag and am easy to find for that reason,
> also:)
>

> All the best,
>
> Jessica Feldman
>

> --
> whatsapp / signal +1 646 637 8380
> phone: +33 6 99 78 30 88
> --
>
> Jessica Feldman
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> Department of Global Communications
>
> American University of Paris
>
> https://www.aup.edu/profile/jfeldman
>

> Affiliated Researcher
>
> Digital Civil Society Lab
>
> Stanford University
>
> https://pacscenter.stanford.edu/person/jessica-feldman/
>

> jfeldman at aup.edu
>
> jessfeld at stanford.edu
>
> feldman at protonmail.com
>
> feldman.jm at gmail.com
>
> pgp fingerprint: 67F4 11DF EF37 968E 74D4  6450 74E8 EB3C 7731 FF80
>

> She/Hers/Her

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com