[Battlemesh] WBMv13 and COVID-19

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Tue Apr 21 17:52:45 CEST 2020

Hi,

This sounds like something achievable with Big Blue Button, which is a
self-hosted solution for video-conferencing.  It was designed with
teaching in mind: you can show slides, record meetings, take collaborative
notes (Etherpad integration), and there are even "break-out" rooms for
relaxing between sessions.

Here is the website: https://bigbluebutton.org/

Documentation for installing: http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.2/install.html

Design: http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.2/design.html

Administration interface: http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/greenlight/gl-overview.html

Overview video as a participant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYnryIM0Uw

Overview video as a presenter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tG2SS4gXA

I tested it recently: it's a bit heavy-weight and messy on the server-side
(it needs 4-8 GB of RAM and a public IP address, and it's a bit fragile
once you start to hack into it), but the new HTML5/webRTC client works
really well.

They run a demo instance with the GreenLight frontend: https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/gl/

You can also use my instance (only for testing) if you want: https://easybbb.polyno.me/

On this instance I installed a very simple frontend called "bbb-easy-join" [1]
that makes it look like Jitsi Meet, you can create rooms and share the
link to participants.  But GreenLight looks nice for managing users, and
there are also many integrations [2] and even an integration with
Mattermost [3].

Baptiste

[1] https://github.com/stadtulm/bbb-easy-join
[2] https://bigbluebutton.org/integrations/