[Battlemesh] Fwd: Google Season of Docs projects for OpenWrt

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Tue Jun 9 15:33:53 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 09-06-20, fboehm at aon.at wrote:
> I have some experience in writing technical documentations but more
> importantly just recently stumbled into the minefield of understanding all
> OpenWRT core components. I'm still no expert but I could explain it to a
> newcomer pretty well.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't find meaningful information about how much creative
> freedom is allowed in this Google sponsored documentation project. I'm
> asking because I would only want to write it from the perspective of a
> C-Coder with some Linux skills but with zero OpenWRT experience. But if the
> style of this documentation is going to be another Wiki-like collaboration -
> instead of a proofread book - then I'm likely not the right person.

In short, it's pretty free: we are proposing projects, but you can propose
something different.  However, it's better to discuss it beforehand (on
the openwrt-devel mailing list) to make sure it really fits a need.  We
may not be able to accept all applications so we are more likely to accept
project proposals that were discussed before.

Project 1 is focused on the documentation tooling because we thought it
would be too hard for a non-openwrt-developer to also write low-level
documentation.  But if you think you can do both, that's great!

Regarding the format, I don't know what you mean by "proofread book" but
https://openwrt.org/google-season-of-docs makes it clear that we want to
move away from the wiki and use a uniform documentation system for all
OpenWrt core components (probably mkdocs).

Baptiste