[Battlemesh] building and supporting imaginary

Roger Pueyo Centelles | Guifi.net roger.pueyo at guifi.net
Fri Apr 28 10:43:44 CEST 2023

Hi,

Catalan here. I only participated in the construction of a castell (not
"castella", this is something else) twice, pushing from the base (this
is called "fer pinya", sort of translatable as "help to build up") to
keep the structure above compact and stable. A concentration and
energy-demanding effort, like putting a routing protocol under test, but
fun to be part of.

Pedro already gave a nice glimpse of what castells mean *nowadays* in
popular culture. Men-only castells were a declining tradition only a few
decades ago. As soon as inclusive "colles castelleres" (i.e., teams of
castellers) appeared in the late 80s, the castells tradition flourished
again and became an open, welcoming, family-friendly, intergenerational
activity. This meant not only more fun, but also better castells. I
think Catalan society learnt a valuable lesson from that. I found this
nice article (in Catalan
<https://revistacastells.cat/2018/03/les-dones-han-fet-els-castells-mes-grans/>)
discussing it [1], which you may want to translate with your favourite
translation tool.

Now, I'd like to bring the whole castells topic into the Battlemesh
discussion. As you may imagine, the higher the castell goes, the bigger
and sounder the base (i.e., the "pinya") needs to be. This requires lots
of people supporting the tower from the bottom. Even in the most
signified castells competitions, which occur regularly, it is *common
practice* that members from one colla castellera (and also friends,
family, supporters, etc.) help a competing colla castellera to "fer
pinya"
<https://castellscat.cat/ca/descarregar/fem-pinya/CCCC_Fem_Pinya_2019.pdf>
[2], so that all the castells that are build during the event become
more solid and robust. Isn't it the whole purpose of putting the
protocols at test during the Battlemesh, to make them more solid and
robust through collaboration of all participants?

SAX!

Roger

[1]
https://revistacastells.cat/2018/03/les-dones-han-fet-els-castells-mes-grans/

[2] https://castellscat.cat/ca/descarregar/fem-pinya/CCCC_Fem_Pinya_2019.pdf

El 27/4/23 a les 22:07, Federico Capoano via Battlemesh ha escrit: